10 Confusing Homonyms
Dodane przez Tomasz H. 16 marca 2015 w kategorii: Język angielski, Leksyka
Homonyms are words that sound similar, but have different meanings.
Steel & Steal
1. Steel - a very strong metal made from iron, used for making knives, machines etc. -> This knife is made from steel.
2. Steal - to secretly take something that does not belong to you, without intending to return it -> Burglars broke into the car and stole a radio.
Sea & See
1. Sea - a large body of water -> I love the sound of see.
2. See - to view -> Yeah, I can see him now!
Fine & Fine & Fine
1. Well, healthy, or happy -> I had a cold last week, but I'm fine now.
2. Thin or made of very small pieces -> She has fine, brown hair.
3. A monetary penalty -> I got a fine when I brought a book to the library to late.
Die & Dye
1. Die - to stop living -> She died from brain injuries after a road accident.
2. Dye - a substance that is used to change the colour of something -> I bought a black dye for my hair.
Rock & Rock & Rock
1. Tipe of music -> I don't like rock music.
2. A stone ->Huge waves were crashing against the rocks.
3. Gentle swaying motion -> John rocked his baby to coax him to sleep.
Bow & Bow
1. A decoration of the hair -> Her hair was tied in a red bow.
2. To bend your head or body forward in order to show respect or to thank an audience -> The actors all bowed after the performance.
Right & Write & Rite
1. Right - opposite direction of left -> On the next traffic lights turn right.
2. Write - to produce words, letters, or numbers on a surface using a pen or pencil -> Write your name at the top of the page.
3. Rite - a traditional ceremony in a particular religion or culture -> Funeral rites
Club & Club & Club
1. An organization for people who want to take part in a sport or social activity together, or the building they use for this -> Football club.
2. A place open late at night where people can dance -> Let's go to club on Friday!
3. A long, thin stick used to hit the ball in golf.
Doe & Dough & Dough
1. Doe - a female deer
2. Dough - a thick mixture of flour and liquid used to make foods such as bread -> Roll the dough out on a floured surface.
3. Dough - money (slang) -> I have little dough.
Aloud & Allowed
1. Aloud - in a voice loud enough to be heard -> He read a book aloud to the rest of the family.
2. Allowed - permitted -> Smoking not allowed!